[Shop-talk] shopsmith

Subject: [Shop-talk] shopsmith
From: mikey at b2systems.com (Mike Rambour)
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 13:24:06 -0700
  There was basically only one model of ShopSmith, the changes they made
over the years (decades) were mostly cosmetic.

  Its a OK tool, I never was able to go from lathe/drill/etc. to table
saw without spending time re-truing and getting everything square again,
they advertised that you could but never worked for me.  As a table saw
it was pretty so-so, certainly not great.  As a drill press, again
so-so.  I used it a lot as a horizontal drill-press, made a lot of jobs
easier.  As a wood lathe, its really hard to beat the ShopSmith, nice
stable turning platform.  Its a good tool if you don't have the space,
if you do then not so good.  I got a good table saw and drill press but
I kept my ShopSmith to use a lathe and occasionally horizontal drill, it
sits outside now under a tarp as I don't need a lathe often and its held
up surprisingly well being outside for over 10 years now, I have had my
ShopSmith since the late 1970's.

     Mike