Re: [Shop-talk] Replacing an inground oil tank

To: <eric@megageek.com>, Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Replacing an inground oil tank
From: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 13:57:02 -0400
I had a new tank installed in my basement last summer.  The old ones legs were
rusting... and it was never noticed until it was almost too late.  BTW, if you
have an older tank, check your legs, especially if the guy that services your
tank has bad knees and doesn't like to crouch down with a damn flashlight and
do his effin job...  :-/   I'm serious.

The new one cost about $2k for the old tank removal, new tank, and
installation.  Happy with it so far.  Used to get a smell when it was filled
before, now I don't notice anything.  It had to be a bit slimmer b/c of how
tight my basement access was, but I probably have about 50 gals less capacity,
I hardly notice..

For me reasons I wouldn't go with the outside tank:
- price was hardly different (bit more for the indoor tank)
- major eyesore
- risk of damage from weather/rust, tree limbs falling, lightning??
- temp. fluctuations from daytime sunlight, nightime chill, resulting
condensation in the tank leading to more rust, leading to more no-starts ( I
think the guy that quoted me on my new tank mentioned this, and iirc they do
offer fiberglas tanks -> $$$ )
- eyesore
- easier to monitor oil levels in the dead of winter
- resale value of house
- in the case of a leak the oil would be contained in the house depending on
how much though the smell would be too great to live there during cleanup.
Vs. groundwater contamination if the tank was outdoor  (this is all my
speculation)
- increased insurance costs???
- eyesore

ehh... yeah seemed pretty obvious to me.

-PJ