Re: [Shop-talk] CSP 3 (ICRI) (moderately not OT)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] CSP 3 (ICRI) (moderately not OT)
From: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 21:38:40 -0500
This document might give you some insight.  The idea is to remove
anything that would prevent bond with the concrete, and roughen the
concrete slightly.  There are many things that can happen to concrete
during construction and use that would put stuff in its surface and make
it difficult to bond with.  Curing compounds, waterproof coatings,
grease, oil, tile adhesive, etc., can all make it difficult to bond
with.  In addition sometimes the concrete surface will be very smooth
and this also makes bonding difficult.  Cleaning and roughening will go
a long way towards improving bond with new cement-based products.

http://www.generalpolymers.com/tech_lib/conc_surf_prep.pdf

We specify a lot of products of this type on our construction projects
but we don't install them so I don't have any immediate experience with
installation and how much of this preparation is really needed.

BTW:
ICRI is International Concrete Repair Institute
CSP is Concrete Surface Profile
You could of course buy the actual 03732 document from ICRI but it is $28.