Re: [Shop-talk] Fly-n-drive question

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Fly-n-drive question
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 15:37:45 -0500
A discussion about a "road trip toolkit" pops up on the Datsun
Roadster list periodically and the first things mentioned are a cell
phone and a AAA (or similar) auto club card. In all honesty I think
both are essential. Living in central Texas (roughly 90 miles NE of
Austin) we've had the AAA Premier membership since they started
offering it here several years ago. Being where we are and with family
in both San Antonio and DFW, the 200 mile tows included have come in
handy often enough to pay for the $150/year that level of membership
costs. It's not been frequent, but you don't want to have to pay for a
long tow out of pocket.

As far as tools are concerned, I buy a basic set of hand tools ($30 or
so) at a Home Depot or Lowes in Houston along with a electrical kit
that includes the correct style of fuses for the Alfa, various
crimping connectors and 20 ft of both red and black 12 gauge wire. If
you don't already have a got set of ratcheting crimpers, I bought a
nice set with interchangeable jaws at a local O'Reilly's for around
$30. I'd also buy an assortment of middle sized to larger tie wraps,
and an inexpensive DVO meter. The last two you can get at a Harbor
Freight. When they opened their store in Temple, where we work, they
had their $10 unit on for $1.99. I bought a bag full. It and other
models are often in the HF sale flyer. You might want to buy a cheap
plastic tool box to put all of this in, too. I doubt the TSA will let
you fly with this stuff, but you might be able to put it in a checked
bag. Just in case they decide to question you about all of this stuff,
I'd have some documentation about you buying the car ready to show
them.

Have fun with your new toy. They're really nice cars. Let us know how
the trip goes when you get home.

Ron

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums