Re: [Shop-talk] Thread Repair

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Thread Repair
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 21:42:50 -0400
On 5/27/2010 8:14 PM, Randall wrote:
>> I have the original flange from the old transmission and a new flange
>> that came with the new transmission.  Both flanges spin effortlessly on
>> the old transmission the full thread length about 3 inches.  The
>> flanges
>> only have about one inch of thread.  So it's not a mismatch.
>>
> Actually, all that proves is that the new flange has the correct thread
> (same as the old one).  This wouldn't be the first time that some off-shore
> manufacturer has used a metric "approximation" that wasn't good enough and
> the flange was undoubtedly made on a different machine.  If it didn't come
> assembled, then it's a safe bet that it has never been assembled.

Correct that it wasn't assembled.  I was surprised to find the flange in
the shipment.  It wasn't supposed to be there and if it was it should
have had another piece to go with it.  It slightly different, and won't
work with the existing parts.  I don't think it was a manufacturing
error,  both flanges spin on the new transmission just like the old
transmission until you hit a band of thread mid way down the shaft.  It
looks like there is a some rust in the problem threads.

I held a triangle file lightly in the valley of the threads and turned
the transmission letting the file follow the threads.  A couple of
passes it spins on correctly.

Peter T.