Re: [Shop-talk] Thread Repair

To: bjshov8@tx.rr.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Thread Repair
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 16:08:14 -0400
On 5/27/2010 3:33 PM, bjshov8@tx.rr.com wrote:
> First make sure the thread pitch is exactly the same on both transmissions.

I have the original flange from the old transmission and a new flange
that came with the new transmission.  Both flanges spin effortlessly on
the old transmission the full thread length about 3 inches.  The flanges
only have about one inch of thread.  So it's not a mismatch.
> If so then look for thread problems with the new shaft.  If you see them you
>could even touch up the threads with a small triangular file.  If you don't
>see anything with the new shaft then look at the threads inside of your
>flange.  Maybe the new shaft is trying to go deeper into the threads or
>somehow the end of the shaft is shaped differently from the old shaft.

I'm pretty sure the it's the thread mid way on the new shaft.  Both
flanges fully thread onto the new shaft fully but stop at the same
point.  I also tried the the flanges reversed, same thing.  One the old
shaft they spin effortlessly the entire length of the shaft.

Looking at the threads in the aluminum flange there is a wear spot so I
suspect the threads on the shafted were banged and bent.  Worse could be
the shaft is bent but it does not appear to be.  The shaft in question
is actually a tube with another inside that spins freely, so I guessing
it's not bent.  I'm going to try the triangle file, if I can find mine.

Thanks,

Peter T.