Re: [Shop-talk] Stab in the dark here

To: Tim <tputland@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Stab in the dark here
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 17:15:07 +0430
Thanks for the reply.  I don't have any firewall in front of the unit (I
didn't want to add to complexity until I got it working.)

The Afghani government just started filtering all traffic in the country,
I wonder if they are blocking certain ports.  um...

Moose
Waldo Emerson

Tim <tputland@charter.net>
04/28/2010 16:54

shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net, eric@megageek.com
cc

Subject
Re: [Shop-talk] Stab in the dark here

I had similar (or same?) issues here at work with a Polycom 7000. Calls
were connecting but in some cases I would have audio but no video, or
video with no audio.

It turned out that there were specific ports in the firewall that were not
open. Unfortunately for me, the IT dept downtown (I work for the State of
WI) will not give control of anything to anybody. I cannot even LOOK at
the firewall logs to look for the dropped packets that will tell what
ports are not allowing the packets to pass.

Bottom line, they ended up opening the firewall ports wide open just to
get the calls to properly connect. We are supposed to do some testing so
they can close down ports that are not needed. I have yet to receive that
phone call. But my Polycom units are working correclty now.

Tim

---- eric@megageek.com wrote:

=============
OK, this isn't shop related, but it could become shop related.  (See below

how)

With the massive brain trust here, I'm sure someone has this answer.

I'm trying to configure a Polycom QDX 6000 system up here in Afghanistan.
I have all the settings right as far as I can tell.  I can connect to
other units, but when I do, I get a blank screen and no audio.

The Web   Service runs properly and I can make and hang up calls with it.
But it doesn't recognize my camera feed (or the remote feed) either.

The system's camera works fine from the unit and broadcasts on the local
monitor.

Any help would be appreciated.  (Of course, Polycom doesn't have any free
online support.  But they are happy to charge a ton of money to answer a
question.)

How this may be shop related?  I may but one of these units for my
garage!!  It could be a great way to explain to other people the
"problems" or "parts" that are broken in the shop.  8>)

Moose
Waldo Emerson