Re: [Shop-talk] Brake system bleeders

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, "Todd Walke" <racertod@racertodd.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Brake system bleeders
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 08:42:42 -0500
I have both the round and rectangular adapters and neither of them fit.
Obviously the "flat" part of the adapter fits on the top of the master
cylinder but the "chains" that clamp it down do not fit the cramped quarters
under the MR2 "frunk". Admittedly when you look at the adapters ...
especially the round one ... you say "how can it not fit?" but it actually
turns out to be too wide to get the adapter and the chains to work
effectively.

I've purchased an extra cap but it is a little strange in that it really
does not create a tight seal on the top of the master cylinder. The way the
cap is designed is good enough to not allow brake fluid to spill out - i.e.
exactly what Toyota had in mind for the cap - but it does not clamp down and
provide a pressure tight seal - or at least one that I am willing to trust -
the way the screw-on cap for the BMW does.

Someone asked about using a Mityvac. I use one for the motorcycle and it
works fine. I've also used this ...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92924 and
had good luck. I've tried to use both of the vacuum systems on the MR2's but
not had any luck. I attribute this to both cars having SpeedBleeders on them
and the theoretical maximum of 14.7 psi of "suck" they might generate on a
standard day at sea level not being enough to overcome the ball and spring
valve in the bleeder. I would speculate that a non-SpeedBleeder system would
work just fine.

Arvid