Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical Outlet wiring question

To: Pat@hornesystemstx.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical Outlet wiring question
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 20:14:17 -0500
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 8:05 PM, <Pat@hornesystemstx.com> wrote:

> ==
>
> Don't know what caused that. Here is the text I added:
>
> Doug,
>
> I don't think there is any problem with cutting the jumper between the two
> brass screws on the outlet. Since there is a 2 pole 20 A circuit breaker,
> you should use an outlet rated at 20A. If you go with a standard 15A outlet
> you should replace the circuit breaker with a 15A unit.
>
> Be sure to use the screws to connect the wires to the outlet. Do not use
> the poke in holes the back of the outlet. Some heavy duty outlets have holes
> in the back that you insert the wires into, then tighten the screws to keep
> the wires from pulling out, they are fine.
>
> Just in case there is a local requirement that makes this against code, it
> would be a good idea to check with your local electrical inspector.
> \

You need to use a tied handle breaker, so that the condition where one of
the outlets in the box is off and the other is still hot cannot occur.
there is a specific provision in the NEC to allow the use of a 15A outlet on
a 20A circuit.  (That is the only case where you can use an outlet rated at
other than the breaker's rating.)

The more usual reason for breaking the common between the two outlets is so
that one can be switched, while the other is hot always.  But doing what you
want to do is pretty common.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com