Re: [Shop-talk] Odd-shaped door?

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>, Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Odd-shaped door?
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 18:25:10 -0800
Doug - If you don't need to actually regularly use it as a door, how
about just trimming down a sheet of 4x8 foam insulation board to be a
pressure fit in the opening?  See 416989 or 270895 at homedepot.com for
an example.  It can sit there most of the time and when you need to use
the door, just pop it out.  If paintable, put a coat of paint on it and
it can look just like the wall.  If you want to make it a bit more
durable, put a shallow channel on the bottom and a deep one on the top
so you have it held more securely, but then just lift it out like you
might remove a sliding window or patio door.

In my case, I will probably use Peter's reply at my house with a thin
sheet of exterior grade plywood (coastal California, exposed to the
weather).  I have an access door to under the house that is 2' wide by
4' tall, also an expensive custom size.  The existing door is an
interior hollow core door slab, poorly cut down, that was laying in the
dirt when we moved in.  About a dozen screws have it sort of working,
but a new door is needed.  If you go this route, I second the
recommendation for two doors, 3' for most of the time and a 1' door or
panel you can remove when you need the full width.

Brian