Re: [Shop-talk] Odd-shaped door?

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Odd-shaped door?
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:08:14 -0500
On 1/14/2010 8:58 AM, Doug Braun wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My basement (pretty conventional 70's construction) has a set of steps going
>out to the back yard, which are topped with a set of "Bilco" steel doors.
>They keep the rain out just fine, but they are pretty drafty and chilly in the
>winter.  I was thinking of installing an insulated door at the bottom of the
>steps.  The problem is that there is no built-in door frame, and the opening
>is about 4 feet wide by 7 feet high, and I have never seen doors of this shape
>being sold.
>
> Has anybody ever seen a pre-built (or made-to-order) door that would be
>suitable?  Or would have to build the door frame and the door itself from
>scratch?  Looks, security, and weather resistance are not important, just
>sealing and insulating ability.
>
> I guess I could build up something from lumber and plywood, but I am worried
>that it wold take a couple of iterations to get something that works
>reasonably well, is mechanically sound, and doesn't scream "Home Depot weekend
>project"...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug

You can make a door fairly easily yourself using construction lumber,
two sheets of 1/4 luan plywood and some rigid foam.  Cut the two sheets
of luan to the size of the door you want.   Lay one sheet down on a flat
surface.  Gut and glue lumber to go around the perimeter.  Infill with
rigid foam, and finally glue the second sheet of luan on.   This is a
stress skin panel door and is the same construction as flat 1970's
interior hollow core doors except instead of being filled with
corrugated cardboard you're using ridge foam.

Peter Thomas