Re: [Shop-talk] GPS Systems

To: Steve Hammatt Mount Vernon WA USA <gsteve@hammatt.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] GPS Systems
From: Phil Nase <nases@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 10:22:58 -0500
I have a Garmin nuvi 600 I bought about 3 years ago.  I think most basic map
functions are about the same.  The price differences are based on add-on
features.

I got the 600 because at the time it was the cheapest Garmin I could get that
would connect via bluetooth to answer my cellphone hands free.

As far as maps/routes go I also haven't found one yet that is as customizable
as I would like.  On a 100 mile trip to Jersey for instance it routes my
return trip on different roads than my original route even though I haven't
been on one ways.  Go figure.

The battery life on mine off the charger is not very good either.

There are some interesting navigation aids on cellphones these days.  It might
be a good idea to check them out in order to reduce the devices you need.
Even if there are monthly charges you may find they are competitive with
dedicated units after you look at expensive map updates on the Garmin.

Phil Nase
Quakertown, PA
http://home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa/

On Dec 12, 2009, at 1:50 PM, Steve Hammatt Mount Vernon WA USA wrote:

> Looking for recommendations for a portable GPS system for our cars.  Needs
to be portable and self-powered because we'd probably use it during our
antique car tours as well as with our daily drivers.
> Any direct experience regarding brands (Garmin, Magellan, TomTom, etc.) and
desired features? Christmas time is drawing near<grin>