Re: [Shop-talk] Mailbox to end all mailboxes

To: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mailbox to end all mailboxes
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 07:18:44 -0400
I find it amazing that a document like the other one even exists.  Talk
about people with jobs that they need to find work!  Then, the document is
in metric!  DOH!

I would think that the cantilever design could be made that when something
hits it, it spins away from the road.  (only if the base isn't hit.)

The other document talks about the 4X4 post being dangerous as it breaks
and can come into a windshield, then they go and recommend a 4X4 post!

Mine is set up, we'll see how the mailman likes it tomorrow.  I should
have pictures up by then as well.

Thanks for all the help.

Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
06/28/2009 03:59

Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
cc
eric@megageek.com, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject

https://www.nysdot.gov/divisions/engineering/design/dqab/hdm/chapter-10/roadside-safety/mailboxes

> http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/1000/1700/1702/moh.pdf

Got to preface this by saying that I live in a country where the postman
delivers mail to the door and it rarely snows enough to need serious
ploughing so take this with a pinch of salt. Anyway, it seems that
figures 12 and 13 of the moh.pdf address the problem with a cantilever
design. It should be possible to include a detented pivot in Figure 12
to take smallish knocks short of total contact. It would be possible to
mount the upright in a solidly fixed socket in the ground allowing the
post to be lifted out and replaced after the (inevitable) collision. The
KeeKlamp type of construction in Figure 12 allows for modular repairs.

Nick Brearley