Re: [Shop-talk] Table Saws

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Table Saws
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 21:11:01 -0700
If you're not in a hurry and like to get dirty, you can find an old 40s
to 70s Delta Unisaw for $300 to $500 and rebuild it to better than
anything you can get today.  Go to the Wiki on the Old Woodworking
Machines web site (OWWM) and everything you ever wanted to know about
rebuilding a Unisaw is there.  There is one on the Seattle Craigslist
right now for $300.  It has a 3 HP 3 phase motor, but it's missing the
dust door and motor cover (neither of which are actually required to
operate).  These are readily available as repos or somewhat less
available on the secondary market if you want all original. It would be
in my shop right now, but I'm already rebuilding it's big brother, a
Delta 12"-14" table saw, which is a real monster...unless you're
comparing it to one of the industrial table saws from the 30s and 40s.

On the other hand, I also have a Grizzly G1023 10" cabinet saw (Unisaw
clone) that works perfectly well.  Mostly it depends on your budget,
what you plan to do with it, whether or not you need portability, and if
you are concerned with dust collection (contractor type saws are very
difficult to connect to a dust collector, cabinet saws are usually
designed with dust collection in mind).

Stay away from the hundreds and hundreds of Sears Craftsman table saws
that infest Craigslist.  With VERY rare exceptions most of these are junk.

Dave C