[Shop-talk] Engine swaps; 350 SBC donor cars.

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Engine swaps; 350 SBC donor cars.
From: "Paul Mele" <paul.mele@usermail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 20:14:26 -0500
I suspect a number of you are car guys.

I've acquired an 87 V12 jag coupe.  I know that the V12 isn't a good engine;
it has a GM TH350 behind it.
I've seen the Small block chevy conversions; they seem to be the way to go.
I've found some ref's...

I'm looking for any ideas on the swap, but particularly a good idea for
donor cars 5-10 yrs old that I could use to source the engine, trans and
wiring harness (...no warm beer for me).  The goal of the swap is
reliability and fuel mileage comparable to the wife's 96 caddy deville with
Northstar.  It gets 22 around town and 27 on the cruise. it weighs 4000 lbs;
the 4.6L Northstar is about 305 HP/ 300 ft-lbs if memory serves.

the Jag's V12 is about 285 HP/ 295 ft-lbs, and also weighs around 4000 lbs
with the V12.  I don't see any weight listed for the V12 engine, but I'd
guess it 100-200 lbs heavier than the SBC.

So, who has some ideas on 350 SBC-equipped production cars with ratings
similar to above, and a 4-speed auto/ OD trans?

thanks

PM