Re: [Shop-talk] hydronic heat retrofit?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] hydronic heat retrofit?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 06:45:08 -0800
> It's about a 20' run to the nearest duct, and that duct is
> already supplying two rooms!

FWIW, what I did was make an entirely new run, all the way back to the
furnace. Worked out quite well, and I still don't know what that white stuff
was.  Cut a new hole in the furnace thimble; Home Depot sells the metal
fitting that goes into the hole, plus pre-insulated ductwork and everything
else.  Even the high-temperature caulking compound.

But I still plan to install a direct infrared ceiling fixture in the tiled
shower room with a timer so it can't be accidentally left on.  Feels good to
have the infrared helping dry you after a shower, but I don't want to pay to
keep it on all the time.  Been using a portable infrared fixture ("quartz
tube") for nearly 20 years, it's time to replace it <G>

Randall