Re: [Shop-talk] recommend a portable bandsaw

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] recommend a portable bandsaw
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 23:27:14 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008, David C. wrote:
> Are you talking about a porta-band portable metal cutting bandsaw, or a small
> (maybe three wheel) woodworking bandsaw?
>
> If the former, I have one of the H.F. models, too.  It works OK, and I have
> spare Milwaukee blades for it.  I don't use it very much; I use my stationary
> Chinese bandsaw almost all the time, and other than the motor burning out (by
> leaving it on overnight) it works fine, too.  If I was going to use one full
> time like for a welding shop or other business I would probably get a
> Milwaukee or Makita.

I have the portable metal cutting one... I.e.:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?function=Search

I took it apart more tonight.  I'm not impressed...

The plastic/rubber drive wheels don't have bearings.  Its just the molded
plastic of the wheel riding on a steel sleeve with some crappy grease in
there.

The primary issue with mine didn't seem to be that though... It was that
the blade guide bearing at the top had enough play that it could move up
enough to let the blade fall past it.  All of the blade guide bearings had
play... I played with some small washers and think I could shim the
bearings into place.  That plus adding a tapped hole in the housing to put
a set screw type of thing to give the blade a steel surface to ride on
instead of the AL casting might have helped.

Of course, it wouldn't have done anything about the lack of bearings on
the drive wheels.

Anyway, I'll probably call HF tomorrow and see what parts would cost, but
I'm going to have a hard time spending much more money on this thing or
another one like it.

Mark