[Shop-talk] recommend a portable bandsaw

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] recommend a portable bandsaw
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 21:18:47 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

Ok, following my normal practice, I bought a cheapie portable bandsaw from
HF for $70 to see how it worked, if I liked it, and if I used it much.

It worked well (while it worked), I liked it, and I used it pretty often.

Of course, its from HF so the other night the fact that the blade doesn't
hit the roller bearings finally meant the blade wore through the case
enough to toss the blade and chew up the drive wheels.  So now I'm
wondering which 'real' portable bandsaw I should get.

Any advice?  I'm leaning toward the Milwaukee mostly by default.  One
reviewer I saw liked the DeWalt, but I've seen spotty quality on some of
my DeWalt stuff and all the Milwaukee things have been bulletproof.

Anyway... Recommendations or things you don't like about one of these in
particular?

Thanks!

Mark