Re: [Shop-talk] I'm tired of oil talk... lets talk plumbing

To: "Steven Trovato" <strovato@optonline.net>, "shop-talk"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] I'm tired of oil talk... lets talk plumbing
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:42:29 -0500
But cutting out a section and gluing in a new piece is simple - just use
non-stopped couplings.  They slide completely over the pipe and get out of
the way.  That gives you telescoping and doesn't require exotic proprietary
parts - just cheap old PVC.

Put the couplings onto the pipe (primed but dry of glue), drop the pipe in
place, slobber lots of glue on it, and slide the couplings into place.
Maybe push each coupling a little too far and add some more glue at the
railing edge too, then slide it back to the center of the joint.  Just
remember to mark the positions for the couplings to get them centered over
the joint.

Works even easier with copper, since there's no glue to worry about and you
can play with it all day till you're ready to solder it.

Karl