Re: [Shop-talk] Dangerous tool gloat

To: Nolan <opposumking@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dangerous tool gloat
From: "John Innis" <jdinnis@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 07:39:34 -0500
A framing nail has more mass than a bullet from a .223 rifle.  The
velocity is the deciding factor.  The .223 round is doing about
2000fps when it hits you.  I have not chronographed a nail (yet) but I
am guessing it is less than 500fps when it leaves the nail gun.  It
would be interesting to get a mythbusters style experiment set up.
Use balistics gel and create an uber-nailgun that can get some decent
velocity on them.  Then compare the damage from a .223 FMJ to a
framing nail at similar velocity.