Re: [Shop-talk] MIG welding Aluminum

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] MIG welding Aluminum
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:03:28 -0700
 Have to agree, its only one fender this week and would be way cheaper
and (no offense meant) probably better done to have it done by a pro but
what fun is that ?  just tell yourself its only one fender TODAY who
knows what you will need to weld tomorrow ! and all the money needed
will be irrationally justified.  That is how I got both my MIG and my TIG.

 For me, I was MIG'ing my Alu body back together and burning holes more
than welding, so while it was only one body that I had to do today, I
got a TIG and finished the job, about the only time the MIG gets used
now is when I loan it to people for trailer work.  MIG on Alu. is not
difficult but it is very different and I could not get the hang of it,
got the TIG and it was so easy that I went back and tried to MIG it
again and it was also easy.  I did not have a spool gun so I am fully
aware of all the variation of "birds nests" that there can be, I would
highly recommend a spool gun if it is in the budget.

    mike

Randall wrote:
>> but if it's just the one fender, even 2 is it worth the cost for the
>> equipment to
>> allow you to weld Al.?
>>

> Blasphemy!
>
> Everyone knows he who dies with the most tools wins!
> <G>
>
> Randall
>
> http://www.team.net/archive

Mike Rambour
Bug Writer err...Programmer
      mikey@b2systems.com
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/
or the ULTIMATE ALMOST a Ferrari http://www.dinospider.com