Re: [Shop-talk] MIG welding Aluminum

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] MIG welding Aluminum
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 07:31:47 -0400
At 12:26 AM 9/24/2008, Bob Nogueira  wrote:

 >My current project is restoring some aluminum fenders.  They have some
 >cracks and small areas that will need to be welded.

Bob,

I understand the wanting to do it yourself.  And this wasn't one of
your questions,
but if it's just the one fender, even 2 is it worth the cost for the
equipment to
allow you to weld Al.?

You'll need a new bottle with gas, new wire, and possibly a new liner for you
gun depending on the size of the Al. wire you use.  How much Al. do you plan
on welding?  How much is the equipment going to cost, and I'd get an estimate
as to how much a shop would charge you to weld it up.

If you're shop is anything like mine or my dads, you don't really
need to store
the extra tank for the next 50 yrs.  The wire spool shouldn't be too
much trouble
to store.  But again, if you're like me and my dad, you'll store it someplace
along with the new liner.  Then in a few years when you need to do it again,
then you won't be able to find it. :)

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229