Re: [Shop-talk] smoking 1993 El Dorado

To: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] smoking 1993 El Dorado
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 12:45:10 -0400
On Sep 11, 2008, at 12:32 PM, Frank Vantacich wrote:

> My son received a free 1993 El Dorado North Star 32 valve Cadillac
> recently
> with 122,000 miles on it.  The car sat idle for almost a year
> although it was
> started periodically.  We drove it home the three miles with no
> problems.
> After having it for a few weeks and starting it every other day it
> started to
> put out white smoke  immediately upon starting and then gets less
> and less but
> never disappearing completely as things heated up.
>
> I was always under the impression that white smoke meant a water
> leak,  blue
> smoke meant excess oil and black smoke meant a rich mixture.  Is
> this true?

That is true, though I have seen some very light blue smoke when oil
burns. The smell gives it away.

Can you open the cooling system resevoir (before it's hot enough to
build pressure) and see if there are bubbles being generated? Sounds
like you might have a blown head gasket, and a cylinder is sucking in
water as it cools down.

jim