Re: [Shop-talk] IR compressor troubles

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] IR compressor troubles
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 18:10:30 -0700
> When I use it for bead blasting say 15-20
> mins the pump is too hot to touch.  The motor is very warm as
> well.  It's in my shop located in a barn (not very tight) so
> I would think it gets plenty of air.  Is this normal ??

Sounds pretty normal to me.  Compressing air inevitably generates a lot of
heat.  And most motors are rated for a 40C temperature rise when operated at
continuous full load.

> Can I
> do anything to help it run smoother ?

You could add a fan to try to cool it better.  Make sure the existing fan
isn't blocked, that sort of thing.  Also that the intake filter is clean.

Randall