[Shop-talk] IR compressor troubles

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] IR compressor troubles
From: "Dan and Jenny Fest (Coles Nurseries Inc)"
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 20:45:55 -0400
I have an Ingersal Rand air compressor that I purchased new from Northern 21/2
years ago.   It's not used very heavily.  It's 5 hp 220v and wired with #8
wire.  It's around 15 ft from the main box.  I had trouble with the motor
around two months ago and had to purchase a new one.  It's no longer under
warranty.  My problem is that it runs very hot.  When I use it for bead
blasting say 15-20 mins the pump is too hot to touch.  The motor is very warm
as well.  It's in my shop located in a barn (not very tight) so I would think
it gets plenty of air.  Is this normal ?? Can I do anything to help it run
smoother ? I do change the oil pretty regularly.
Thanks,
Dan