Re: [Shop-talk] painting with hvlp ??

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] painting with hvlp ??
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:32:19 -0400
I, too, have a Sharpe Platinum HVLP gun.  I also have a far less
expensive Devilbiss siphon feed HVLP that I bought so that I could
utilize my extensive collection of siphon cups, including an 8 oz. size
and an agitator cup for metallics.

The gravity feed Sharpe, at about $400 as I recall, produces a superior
finish to anything else I have used.  My high pressure guns are
Devilbiss JGA guns.  And, there is no question that there is less
overspray and less waste, and with the gravity fed gun, cleanup uses far
less solvent.

So, I use the Devilbiss siphon HVLP gun for surfacers and primers, and
save the Sharpe for topcoats and clears.

Two reasons for picking the Sharpe: as mentioned elsewhere, it has the
lowest CFM consumption of any I considered at the time, and my local
paint supplier stocks and can get any parts or different tips I care to buy.