Re: [Shop-talk] engine rebuild

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] engine rebuild
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 06:42:59 -0700 (PDT)
--- "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net> wrote:

> 5. Back the valve adjusters off before turning the
> engine over.  The may not
>      be adjusted correctly and you'll bend the push
> rods.  I did that on my TR3
>      engine.  (The 1st engine I ever rebuilt.)

If a rod doesn't bend, you might break a rocker arm
instead.  That's what happened to me once...

> 6. After fully assembled, remove the spark plugs and
> turn it over with the
>      starter to get oil pressure up before you try
> and start the
> engine.

You can also mount a handle-less screwdriver in an
electric drill, and stick it down into the oil pump
(before you install the pump/distributor drive gear)
to operate it and build up pressure.  You need to run
the drill in reverse, I believe.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit