Re: [Shop-talk] engine rebuild

To: "Dan and Jenny Fest (Coles Nurseries Inc)"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] engine rebuild
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 16:13:20 -0700
On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 06:38:06PM -0400, Dan and Jenny Fest (Coles Nurseries
Inc) wrote:
> I am thinking of attempting my first engine rebuild.  Although I've never
> rebuilt an engine , I am fairly mechanical.  Can anyone describe the steps I
> need to follow.

Disassemble.
Replace worn/broken parts.
Machine parts that need machining.
Reassemble.

> Especially, what I can do and what should be done by an
> expert.

Many people do the disassemble/reassemble part themselves.
Most people leave the machining part to a machininst.  They'll
make their own measurements because they wont' trust yours so
you can often leave that part to them as well.  But that means
you need to bring in everything that needs to be measured.

Sometimes some of the disassemble/reassemble part can be difficult
or require special tools.

The best way to figure out what you're comfortable with is to get
a good manual for your engine and read it before diving in.

Eric