Re: [Shop-talk] water filter for blast cabinet

To: Marc <smarc@smarc.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] water filter for blast cabinet
From: Donald H Locker <dhlocker@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 22:52:04 -0400
You need to reduce the velocity and turbulence of the air entering the bucket.
Best ways are:

1. reduce air flow.  Use a smaller outlet pipe (or choke the one you have
installed) until the droplets stop and you still have enough air flow to suck
the dust from the work area.  If you can't reduce the air flow enough to stop
the water without also losing the dust collection, try next method.

2.  reduce inlet air turbulence.  Put a large number of soda straws (raid the
local Mikey Dees or buy a hundred at the grocery) in the inlet pipe where it
points to the water surface to form a "honeycomb" air straightener.  The air
will impinge on the water fairly smoothly, and won't splash as much.  If that
doesn't work, move on to method 3.

3.  reduce inlet air velocity.  Remove the soda straw air straightener and put
conical diffuser on the pipe into the bucket.  (An exponential horn would be
better, but it's hard to make; a cone with an included angle of 12 degrees or
less should work OK.)  The air will slow down as it approaches the open-most
end
of the cone and won't stir up as much water.

In any case, it would probably help to put some kind of baffle between the
water
surface and the pipe leading to your shop vac.  Just a flat plate that stands a
few inches away from the inlet to the outlet pipe would probably help.

Let us know how it works out,
Donald.