Re: [Shop-talk] john deere lawn tractors?

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] john deere lawn tractors?
From: Donald H Locker <dhlocker@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 21:00:53 -0400
Back when I had money and a [teeny] bit of land I owned a Gravely walk-behind
with a 42 inch deck.  Never a hiccough, all lube points readily identifiable,
easy to drive and maintain.

Only problem I ever had was when I caught a black walnut between the blade and
guard on the underside of the deck.  Bent the guard substantially and the blade
a little.  Flame cut some stock to make a new guard, beat the blade back into
shape and watched _very_ closely for those walnuts and all was well.

Donald.

Pat wrote:
> Bill,
>
> I also had spindles go out on my STX-46 The belt pulleys came loose from
> the spindle, eating up the pulley and the shaft.
>
> After picking up the new ones I welded the pulley nut to the pulley so
> it wouldn't work loose again. ?That was 3 or 4 years ago and it has been
> working fine ever since. Now all I need to do is find a replacement for
> the $65 mower belt that I've only found at the dealer! I seem to eat one
> about ever or every other year.
>
> Peace,
> Pat
>
> Thusly spake Bill Rabel:
>> I just spent the weekend with my JD 38" mower. One feature that really
>> clicked when I bought it was that all the steering linkage is cad-
>> plated. Absolutely no rust in about eight years.

[snip]