Re: [Shop-talk] jack stands

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] jack stands
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:10:14 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, eric@megageek.com wrote:
> At the risk of offending someone that may use these, I really donbt see
> the point of these lifts.
>
> Basically, it lifts up a vehicle about a 20b total.  Then, you have to
> work around these lifts, which it looks like will be in the way on the
> sides, and front of the vehicle and in between the wheels underneath.
>
> I just canbt see where they would be a real advantage.

They'd be handy for some things, but for $1.5k I think I'd buy a low
clearance lift (i.e. uses the floor to cross the cable/hydraulic line or
whatever is over, vs. doing it overhead).  It'd cost similar money
(assuming you could find one used) and it'd let you lift the vehicle
higher, even though you wouldn't have the clearance to be able to stand
under the vehicle in most residential garages.

Mark