Re: [Shop-talk] Mystery of the blown transformers

To: Rich White <rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com>, shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mystery of the blown transformers
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 15:41:12 -0600
Thanks guys.  I suspect this is the problem.  I did discover shortly
after posting this that I was mistaken about the transformers being DC;
both the original one and the doorbell ones are AC.  Fortunately, I
decided to save the original one until I had permanently fixed the light.
The
original transformer output is 24VAC-50VA, while the doorbell one is
24VAC-20VA.  Not four times as John suspected, but I am sure that 2.5 times is
way too much.  Plus, as everyone guesses, the doorbell ones are almost
definitely not designed for a continuous load.  Now, I just have to find the
right transformer.  I don't think any of the big box stores carry them; I'll
do a little surfing and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again.

> From: rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com
> To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
> Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 14:09:42 -0600
> Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mystery of the blown transformers
>
> Jim,
>
> I think your problem is that the replacement transformer is not up to the
> job.
> As others has said you could calculate the cold resistance, but maybe it
would
> be better to measure the current before dies.
>
> When picking out a replacement, you have to look at the continuous load
> rating.  A door bell would be a very short duration load and I would not
> expect the transformer to handle its rated output continuously.Rich White
St.