Re: [Shop-talk] Mystery of the blown transformers

To: "'shop talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mystery of the blown transformers
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 09:50:28 -0800
> a 24V DC transformer.

Any idea why the DC ?  I know there are transformers that have rectifiers
inside (so the output is DC with a lot of ripple), but can't see why it
would matter in this application.

> so I replaced it with a standard Home Depot door
> bell transformer with selectable voltages of 8V, 16V or 24V.

So you converted to AC ?  Or is there an external rectifier somewhere ?  If
so, might there also be a capacitor (which will derate the transformer) ?

> Does anyone have
> any ideas or suggestions?

I'd be looking at the load side of the transformer, rather than the source
side.  Maybe figure out how much current the one you used is rated for, and
put in a fuse for that current.

Also wondering how much continuous load a "door bell" transformer will take.
Did you have a load on it when you tried it at your house ?

Randall