Re: [Shop-talk] trailer advice needed

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] trailer advice needed
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 13:10:02 -0700
> I'm shopping for a used one but really don't know what to
> look at.  The Sprite is no more that 1500 lbs I think.
>
> Will I need a trailer with brakes or any other stuff to keep it safe?

Phil, you'll get opinions all over the map on those questions.  Towing a
trailer is never as safe as not towing, so extra caution is always
necessary.

IMO, if you can keep the combined trailer/car weight below 3000 pounds (or
better yet 2500), then trailer brakes aren't really necessary.  I've towed
many thousands of miles that way, even through mountains, and never been
unhappy I didn't have trailer brakes.

But your stopping distance will be longer even with trailer brakes, and not
having them makes it longer yet.  Modified driving habits (especially extra
following distance and slowing down when someone cuts in front of you) can
compensate for that, but for maximum safety you probably should have brakes
of some sort on the trailer.  ABS would be even better but I've never seen
it offered on a trailer <G>

If you do opt for trailer brakes, I would suggest electric brakes.  "Surge"
brakes work OK if they are properly maintained and operated, but electric
brakes (controlled by the tow vehicle) give you better control, IMO.
Especially backing up.

Then there is the argument about one axle or two ... again if you can keep
the weight down, then IMO a single axle will do.  But if cost is no object,
two axles is probably better (except for backing up).

Check the laws in your state.  As I recall, CA requires brakes over 3500 lbs
but allows a single axle to 35,000 or something like that.

Randall