Re: [Shop-talk] powder coat systems

To: Arvid Jedlicka <arvidj@visi.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] powder coat systems
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 23:35:52 -0400
Arvid Jedlicka wrote:

>Those of you using the powder coating systems - What are you using for curing?

I have a wall oven that came free, needing only a little repair to the
clock and timing unit.  I can set the timer once preheated and the thing
will shut off when done.  No supervision, practically.

A bigger oven would require more space, of course, but I may step up a
bit.  We have a cottage that has this big old stove that I have my eye
on.  I'm sure my wife will be looking for an upgrade there before too
long, and I can get the leftover.

Used ovens are easy to come by still, I think.  The wall oven I'm using
came for free, as I said, and it was sort of a unique deal that I won't
bore you with details about, but I often see discarded stoves on trash
day, and oven elements rarely fail. It's usually burners and cosmetics
that cause their demise, those things that suffer from normal wear and tear.

I considered the IR system but read the file print about how much and
how long it was needed to cure a part.  I calculated that the process
would be hours long.  For that, I'd paint first.  Or go to the pro for
the big parts.

Jim