Re: [Shop-talk] To kill a refrigerator

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] To kill a refrigerator
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:27:31 -0400
OK, here is the deal.  My neighbors are a really nice elderly couple.  The
husband wants to replace their frig, however, the wife doesn't want to
spend the money (damn depression survivors!)  8>)

So, he is asking me to "take care of it" so it doesn't work anymore.  Note,
if I just cut a cord, she is likely to call a repairman first and he may
find it and fix it.  I need to make it NOT work anymore.

To make it worst, I only have a small window of time to work, and I can't
drag a full refrig to a 220 outlet.

I didn't want to dump the coolant because of the environmental aspect of
it.  So the motor seemed the best angle of attack.

I don't have a high output transformer.  What size variable speed control
would I need to burn it out?  How long would it take for the motor to burn
out on it?  (Again, I have to be in and out.)

Some other ideas I have.

Hook the ground lead of my wire feed welder to the positive terminal on the
plug, turn it up to max power and try to weld the frig body in an
unnoticeable spot.  This should make the motor body the place that the arch
trys to jump.  Think it will work?

Moose

"We all know we're dying, And there's no sign of a parachute."
     Tori Amos