Re: [Shop-talk] Satellite Internet Service

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Satellite Internet Service
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:12:19 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Elton E. (Tony) Clark wrote...
> *I have an ol' friend in the "outback" of wildest Vermont who can't get DSL
> or cable for his internet  source and he's getting sick of "dialup" . . He's
> heard bad stories from someone on Hughes Satallite and I wonder if any of
> the astute collective wisdom of the "Shop Talk" list  can comment on their
> experience with any of the satallite internet service providers . . *
> *We'll appreciate advice.*

    I have all the equipment for Earthlink satellite internet service
gathering dust in my basement.  You can have it for free, plus shipping.

    That's a pretty accurate statement of my experience in sum.  The
service started out great, and was blazingly fast ( 12mb/s ).  So much so,
that when I later called to complain about it slowing down, no one at
Earthlink could belive how fast it *used to be*.  Even after I sent them
saved copies of speed reports I'd done, they were gobsmacked.

    Eventually, it slowed down to the point of being not worthwhile, and
the weather-related outages were a big problem, too.  I still have
DirecTV, but have ditched the satellite for Comcast Cable Internet, and am
very happy.

--
  David Hillman