Re: [Shop-talk] FW: Anode for compressor

To: Arvid Jedlicka <arvidj@visi.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] FW: Anode for compressor
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 13:10:03 -0500
It is probably not a correct assumption that the electrode needs to be
separated from the tank except at one point. Outboard boat engines have
blocks of zinc bolted tightly to the lower units to control
deterioration of the aluminum parts. The sacrificial anode does not have
to be separated from what it is protecting, but just connected to it. I
believe that having the anode totally submerged would be helpful, but
all that does is increase the surface area of the anode in contact with
the electrolyte. Any contact will be better than none.

I also agree that there should be a wire run from the anode to the tank
to be sure that there is an electrical path. That anode rod will
deteriorate and corrode over time, which will break the electrical
connection to the tank.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Arvid Jedlicka:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001