Re: [Shop-talk] Metric Hardware

To: "derf" <derf247@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Metric Hardware
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 17:50:49 -0700
> By the time the TR 3 was being made the Brits had converted
> to something other than Whitworth. As far as I could tell
> when I restored my TR 3, SAE bolts and nuts worked just
> fine...

THen you weren't paying attention.  Might be a few less on late 3As; but
there were quite a few British fasteners on a TR3.  All the threads on the
SU carbs, most of the threads on the electrical equipment (starter stud,
starter solenoid, mounting screws for instruments, etc.), and a fair number
of threads on the body; like Tenax studs, door lock mount plates, and the
machine screws that secure the soft top straps to the body.  Even the
factory jack takes a Whitworth wrench !

Surely you noticed that a standard wrench doesn't fit the damper covers on
the SU carbs; but a Whitworth wrench fits perfectly.

Randall