Re: freeware substiute for MS Word /Excel

To: Charlie Schlismann <racegt6@yahoo.com>,shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: freeware substiute for MS Word /Excel
From: wmc_st@xxiii.com
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 08:22:35 -0500
At 10:46 PM 1/31/2007, Charlie Schlismann wrote:
>Notebook crashed and has been replaced but I'd rather not pay for
>Word/Excel when I had a perfectly acceptable alternative w/the freeware.

http://www.openoffice.org/
It's purely free, and OpenOffice.org 2.1 is so good, there's no point
even reading all that !@#$ fine print to see IF your copy of MS
Office allows multiple installs (while some do, others do not -
notable the "OEM" copies you get pre-installed on machines, which may
not even be eligible to transfer to another it the original PC gets
destroyed.)  I haven't even installed MSO on a home or work PC in a few years.

It has features MSO doesn't, like exporting to PDF files.  If you're
sending out quotes or other business documents, they should be in a
read-only format like PDF.  OOo also has no friggin' animated
paperclips or similar BS.  You can install it in less than a minute,
and uninstall just as easily, with no reboot, reboot, reboot bulls@@t
microsoft inflicts.

One thing you'll want to do initially is go into Tools / Options /
Load-Save and set it to use MS Office formats by default.  The rest
works nicely as-is.

   -Wayne