RE: Lincoln Weld-Pak 100

To: "'Shop-Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
From: "Herby" <herby@herbytoys.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 18:22:35 -0800
I have a Weldpak 100 w/mig conversion that I've used off and on for a few
years now. It works well enough for most welding jobs I do but it is lacking
in the adjustment capability. Welding sheetmetal well takes a lot of
practice. I would recommend the SP135 as well.

A friend (the boss's kid actually) borrowed my Weldpak to weld up his Mini
and it took him a while to get the hang of it. About a 1/4 into his project
the manager of the welding supplier we use gave him (yes gratis!) a
refurbished Millermatic 135 and he found it much easier to use. I tried it
out on a few welds and it did seem easier to weld with. I'm thinking of
asking the guy for another one of those *deals*.

That being said the Weldpak is good for occasional use. If you're welding a
lot of body panels or something similar the step up is definitely worth the
extra money.

Herby
63 MKII Sprite (Herbytoy - patiently waiting)
62 MKII Sprite (the "resto-mod" driver)
00 Dakota R/T (the new toy)
herby@herbytoys.com
www.herbytoys.com

Consider the conversion cost, and recognize that the Weld Pak 100 is at
the low end of the Lincoln spectrum.

For comparison, check out

http://www.powertoolstore.com/Qstore/c000027.htm

More money, but better equipment, free shipping, NFI, yada, yada.

I have a Lincoln SP100 that I have been using for years.  Great machine,
the functional equivalent today is the SP135.  I like the infinitely
adjustable voltage setting as opposed to the 4-step switch on the lower
grade models, like the Weld Pak.