Re: Oilstone query

To: Eugene D Abbondelo <eabb@loc.gov>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oilstone query
From: Charlie Schlismann <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:31:28 -0800 (PST)
--- Eugene D Abbondelo <eabb@loc.gov> wrote:

> I picked up an old, used oilstone at a flea market.
> Came in a metal box with
> the label:
>
> Norton Abrasives Combination Oilstone, part no."
> [can't make the rest out]
>
> I'd like to use this for sharpening, dressing metal
> surfaces, etc. I
> experimented with it and it seems to work better
> without using a lubricant
> than with one (I used 3-in-1 oil). I searched a bit
> on Google and got
> conflicting information.  Some sites say use water,
> some say any non-drying
> lubricant, others say no lubricant.
>
> What does the list think?  Thanks,
>
> Gene

Gene,
I have a Norton Abrasives Combination Oilstone, part
no. 186 in my drawer. Coarse and fine layered brick
(dark grey and copper in color).  Got it nearly new in
1973.  I definitely remember being told the supplied
light oil on the coarse (grey) side. Can't remember if
it was dry, spit, or oil on the fine (copper colored)
side-I've been using lighter fluid (naptha?) on this
side.  I think this would work on the coarse side as
well.

In any case, this method has kept my Cub Scout knife
sharp as my wife's tongue for all these years.

HTH,
Charlie