RE: An off-topic question....

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: An off-topic question....
From: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:14:00 -0500
You've got alot of analogies about how buffering works, but what exactly are
you listening, and what are you using?  What ISP do you use, what is the
claimed connection speed?  Have you tried any "speed tests" to verify you're
getting what you are paying for (or close to it)?

Might just need an update to the streaming client you're using, or setting
tweak.  On the basic end, most programs will ask you what you use for
internet, whether it be dial-up, T1, or 700k, 1M, 5M broadband.

Do other radio stations work OK?  How far away is the radio connection hosted,
across the country, or in another country?  Could be a bottleneck that only
you are experiencing.   Could be the radio station is being cheap with their
bandwidth, or their ISP has alot of network latency between them and yourself.
That wouldn't necessarily impact web browsing or downloading, but streaming is
much more susceptible to latency.

Lastly, using just the ISP's router, or a home router?  Other PCs on the
network that could be generating "noise" for you router?  Any applications
that could be chatting up your internet connection alot?

PJ

> From: gerrybraz@cablespeed.com> To: shop-talk@autox.team.net> Subject: An
off-topic question....> Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:46:50 -0500> > > This is a
computer question but I don't belong to a computer group but I> have found
this group to have a wide range on knowledge.> > Anyway, here is my
question....> > I listen to a certain distant radio station on the Internet. I
have a> problem with the program cutting in and out and when it cuts out, the
little> dialog box says "Buffering"....after a little time I get the signal
back and> it will last for a while longer and then cut out again.> > What is
going on? What is buffering? I am sure there must be some setting> that I need
to change to allow it to stream without interruptions.> > Can anybody help?
Get the Live.com Holiday Page for recipes, gift-giving ideas, and more.
www.live.com/?addtemplate=holiday