Sodium Hydroxide

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sodium Hydroxide
From: "Mark" <mark@nashvilletn.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:59:09 -0600
Good Morning,

I am now on to another project of refinishing an old pair of aluminum frame
sidescreens.  The anodized finish is very scratched and pitted requiring
removal of the anodized finish so I can polish them.  I have read that
Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) is the thing to use but have also learned that it is
used to make meth and no longer available locally.  Draino has sodium
hydroxide as well as other chemicals.  Does anyone have experience using
Draino to remove the anodized finish?   Any other solutions would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
Nashville