RE: Tire storage (serious reply)

To: "shop-talk list" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tire storage (serious reply)
From: wmc_st@xxiii.com
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 08:53:44 -0500
At 11:14 PM 1/13/2007, you wrote:
>You are best off by storing them standing up on their tread, at a
>reduced pressure.  Check Tirerack, etc., for details.  I used to
>stack them too, but do not any more since researching the subject.

That sounds identical with what I've always heard.  Avoid sunlight,
oxidizers, and extremely dry conditions.

I build some overhead garage shelving years ago for tires and
stuff.  I wanted a reasonably long span with moderately high capacity
(200 - 300lbs).  Figured any wood construction would require 2x6es
and cut into headroom too much.  So I used 6ft sections of the 1x1
"super strut" metal beams you can buy at Lowes or HD.  I'd seen the
maintenance guys at work hand hundreds of pounds of electrical and
HVAC equipment with them, so they seemed strong enough.

Pix here: http://www.xxiii.com/~wcox/GarageShelving/  I was pleases
with the results.  It's a 2x6ft deck that was fine with 200+ lbs on
it.  The strut sections on the ceiling are like cleats, lag-bolted
into the joists.   Special fasteners made for the struts slide into
the channel and take the threaded rod (see #2);  a fender washer and
jam-nut keep it from sliding.  I reassembled it in the basement of my
current home;  it has exposed trusses, so the top hangers just go
over the truss, eliminating the lag bolts.

I've been very pleased with this setup.  And now I've got welding
capability (and a little skill) and could do the bottom section more neatly.

   -Wayne