RE: Free Oil (was: Waste Oil Container)

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Free Oil (was: Waste Oil Container)
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 20:03:45 -0800
At 11:53 AM  1/4/2007  -0500, Mullen, Tim wrote:
>STP was popular at the time too.  Four or five "empty" cans of STP would
>pretty much make a new can (that stuff was thick and clingy...

I wonder if they still make that stuff?   Back in the early '70s when I was
in the Navy I had an old '63 BMW R60 motorcycle.  On a long trip from
Houston to San Diego I ran it low on oil and partially seized the
engine.  Later found the pistons scuffed and the rings frozen.  I was broke
at the time, and ran it on 50/50 STP and straight 40 weight for about two
months before I had the cash for a top end rebuild.  It ran, barely, and
smoked like a mosquito fogger (remember those?) but it got me to work and
back every day.

Dave C