Re: New theory of mine (humor, hoping to start a fun thread)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New theory of mine (humor, hoping to start a fun thread)
From: Vin Marshall <vlm@te-motorworks.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 10:24:34 -0500
The interesting thing about it is that referring to the tools or parts
by name has value because it allows unambiguous communication.
Therefore, it seems like the meaningful measure is not "correct" but
"commonly understood".  That said, perhaps you can tell the garage
trained mechanic by his use of the common vernacular and the self
trained mechanic by the awkward use of the correct term. [1]   It would
be a bit like spotting engineers at a cocktail party.  When they start
saying things like orthogonal, its a dead giveaway.

-Vin

[1]  I think this might sound condescending.  It's not.  I've been both
things.  They're both OK.

--
T.E. Motorworks, Inc.
Post Industrial Laboratory