Lens marker removal

To: "shop-talk list" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lens marker removal
From: "Martin Sukey" <trmarty@glwb.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 18:31:24 -0500
Ok, since this is about safety glasses I guess I can ask about it on the
shop list. My employer provides safety glasses (and I appreciate it, really)
purchased from some mail order company to keep cost down. Routine is I take
a pair of frames and drive to my friendly optometrist and they fill out a
form with all the details and the form and the frames get shipped out to
some far away folks and just like magic a couple of weeks later I get new
glasses. Problem is my new glasses have some kind of paint marker all over
the lens that is darn near impossible to get off. I contacted the mfg as to
how to get the marker off and they said oh no sir YOU cant take it off,
you need to travel back to your optometrist to have it removed so they can
tweak your glasses.  This might seam petty but I dont want to make an
appointment, travel a half hour each way to get this stuff wiped off. The
glasses fit; I can see great through them (except for the little yellow
lines) ALL I WANT TO DO IS TAKE THIS CRAP OFF THE LENSES so I can go on my
merry way. I did some searching on line and it looks like there is some
magic cleaner that companies sell to the people in the glasses trade that
you spray on and wipe off but I dont see it available to plain old Joe out
there. This cant be rocket science. Any help out there?

Thanks,

Marty