Re: Celltron battery tester

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: Celltron battery tester
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 19:31:06 +0000
At 14:22 07/11/2006, Doug Braun wrote:
>It sounds like a well-thought-out tool, but I do not
>see how it addresses any particular need you have.
>It definitely does not tell you if a battery is
>charged or not.
>
>Just keep your batteries trickle-charged over the
>winter, and if one of them is proven to be bad
>next spring when you re-install it (or any time,
>for that matter), replace it then.

Thanks for the comments Doug. What I try to do is keep the batteries
float charged over the winter, testing them with a DMM at regular
intervals, then load charge them every 2-3 months. Where this tool
seems to offer an edge is in allowing you to get a feel for sulphate
build up on the plates over time if you take regular readings. It
might also help me get an objective assessment of the worth (or
otherwise) of a pulse desulphator I've been tinkering with for the
past eighteen months.

Your comment about just replacing the batteries if needs be in the
Spring is valid. It just takes some of the sport out of the operation...

Regards.

Nick Brearley