Infra Red Shop Heaters

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Infra Red Shop Heaters
From: healeybn7@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 18:51:47 -0400
Well, it's that time of year again.  Time to think about heat for the garage.
Every year I think about a 'real' heater for the garage and then end up using
the trusty old propane torpedo.
This year I am considering infra red heat as it heats objects and not the air -
which is good for my non-insulated detached garage.  My garage is about 20 x
40.  I am in southern Michigan, so winters are cold, but not brutal.  I would
probably venture out when temps are in the mid 20's (F) and up.
Would a 60,000 BTU infra red tube type heater mounted on the ceiling be
sufficient to provide decent heat?  Also, if I were to use propane instead of
natural gas, any estimate on consumption rate?  What size propane tank might I
need?  I would probably use the heater 15 - 20 hours per week.  A lot of
questions, I know.
Thanks for any info/opinions.

Dave

AOL Mail and more.